Linking Voter ID to the Aadhaar card
We live in the illusion of transparency during elections. Anything can happen during elections.
Politicians to come into power can adopt electoral corruption, ballot rigging, and vote buying by breaking electoral laws.
Electing the right representative through vote ensures that we select the right person for our representation. This ensures that the Government we choose is of the people, by the people, and for the people.
In the process of electing, “Suffrage”, means the “right to vote” is most important. It is even more important to know who may vote in the elections.
Electoral fraud also called as manipulating the voting process, either by increasing the votes of a favored candidate or confining the vote share of the opposite is commonly seen during the elections.
To curb this menace and to conduct free and fair elections, the Government Of India has suggested linking the voter ID to the Aadhaar card to track existing Voter Id cards and eliminate and de-activate fake voter Id cards from original cards.
Though the Election Commission of India (ECI) has offered Voter ID to the Aadhaar card linking as a voluntary act, the government is spreading awareness by all means to motivate everyone to link Voter ID to the Aadhaar car.
How To Link Voter ID to the Aadhaar card
For this, the government has offered several ways in which you can link your Voter Id also called an Election Photo Identity card (EPIC in short) to an Aadhaar card.
Link Your Voter ID to the Aadhaar card through National Voter’s Service Portal
NVSP is a Digital India Programme under the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology ( MeitY ) GOI, created to provide a single window for services to avail and access information like seeing the electoral list, applying for a Voter Id Card, applying online for correction in Voter’s card.
Also, the details of the polling booth, assembly, and parliamentary constituency details can be accessed in NVSP.
Linking Voter Id Card to the Aadhaar Card
Follow the below steps to Link Voter Id Card to Aadhaar Card
- If you are an existing user, Login into your NVSP account with your username and password. Register if you are a new user.
- Once logged in, click on FORMS
- Next, enter details like name, assembly, parliamentary constituency, EPIC number, mobile number, email id, etc
- Furnish your Aadhaar number to get One Time Password on your UIDAI registered mobile number and use the same number for Aadhaar authentication.
- If you don’t have an Aadhaar number, you need to submit form-6B along with the required documents online without self-authentication
- Check the status of the Aadhaar Voter ID link using the acknowledgment number you received after the form submission
- Note that in order to link your Voter Id Card to the Aadhaar Card online using your Aadhaar number, your mobile number must be registered and linked to your Aadhaar Card
People who wish to link their Voter ID Cards to their Aadhaar cards must be aware of the following to complete the process on NVSP
- Voter ID Card or Election Photo Identity card number
- Aadhaar Card number and Aadhaar Registered mobile number
Copy of the documents mentioned below (anyone)
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act ( MNREGA ) Job Card
- Driving License
- Passbook with photo issued by Post Office or Bank
- Ministry of Labour issued Health Insurance Smart Card
- Smart Card issued by Registrar General Of India ( RGI ) under the National Population Register ( NPR )
- Indian Passport
- Pension document with photo
- Service ID cards with photos if an employee of Central/State government/PSUs/Public Limited Companies
- Unique Identity ID (UDID) Card, issued by M/o Social Justice and Empowerment, GoI
Official ID Card issued to MPs/MLAs/MLCs
There are also other methods to link Voter ID Cards to the Aadhaar Card like:
- Linking Voter ID Card to the Aadhaar through SMS
- Linking Voter ID Card to the Aadhaar through Mobile App
- Linking Voter ID Card to the Aadhaar through Phone
We will be updating each link this week, do come back and check the link.