Swachh Sarvekshan Abhiyan 2022
Hyderabad city received only a 3-star rating in the Swachh Sarvekshan Rankings due to poor sanitation.
As per GHMC officials, although top officials were certain of attaining the coveted 5-star rating, their juniors ensured a flop show with inadequate sanitation upkeep.
As per the data report, at least 47 cities with populations of more than 10 lakh participated, with the GHMC ranking 10th.
However, the city climbed 3 places since last year’s rankings.
Swachh Sarvekshan Rankings
The city finished 26th out of 342 urban local bodies (ULBs) in the above 1 lakh category, one spot higher than the previous year.
Hyderabad contested with 9 cities in the over 40 lakh population category, finishing 6th. It received a score of 5,612.68 out of a possible 7,500.
GHMC officials allegedly misled officials from the Centre and showed them around prime areas.
GHMC officials deployed their staff to give positive feedback and ensured that very few citizens interacted with them, sources said.
Water Plus Certification
- The city, however, kept its water plus certification.
- If a city is certified open defecation free (ODF)++, it will receive the water plus certification immediately.
- The ODF guarantees that everyone has complete access to bathroom facilities.
- ODF+ appropriate toilet upkeep by ensuring basic utilities such as water and cleanliness by connecting to sewer networks.
- ODF++ provides solid and liquid waste disposal (STPs) as well as visually clean toilets.
After field inspections for the water plus city category, the Centre considered nine indicators after conducting surveys in the Hyderabad district with a population of 67,31,790.
A top GHMC official on the promise of anonymity admitted that the delay in collecting door-to-door garbage, delay in collecting roadside garbage, and poor maintenance of public toilets led to the fall.
The official said that the city sanitation improvement in Hyderabad will actually secure a rank in the top ten cities competing with ULBs across the country, but on asking to inform he refused to comment on the 4,000 missing public toilets.