Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, was an Indian philosopher, statesman, and articulate interpreter of Hindu tradition to the West.
Born into a Brahmin family of orthodox persuasion near Madras (Now Chennai) in India, he went on to become the President of India from 1962 to 1967.
Also Read – Teachers Day: 49 teachers of Telangana to be awarded
As teachers day on 5th September is approaching, here are 10 interesting things you should know about him:
- DR. S RadhaKrishnan was an Indian Philosopher who was the First Vice President from 1952 to 1962 and the second President of India from 1962 to 1967
- He was so popular in his days that when he was leaving Mysore University to join as a professor in the university of calcutta, he was taken all the way from Mysore to Railway Station in a flower decked carriage that was pulled by his students.
- He held the position of vice chancellor at Andhra University from the year 1931 to 1936 and in Benaras Hindu University from the year 1939 to 1948
- He placed Indian Philosophy on the world map. He showed that western philosophers, despite all their claims to objectivity, they were biased by theological influences from their wide culture
- When he had to preside over the Rajya Sabha sessions in the parliament as the vice president, he would intervene with slokas from the sanskrit classics or quotations from the the Bible to calm the heated atmosphere.
- After such quotations, once Nehru commented saying, “BY THE WAY IN WHICH RADHAKRISHNAN CONDUCTED THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE RAJYA SABHA, HE HAD MADE THE MEETINGS OF THE HOUSE LOOK LIKE FAMILY GATHERINGS!”
- He was appointed a knight bachelor in 1931, which was a part of the British honors system
- He was elected as the fellow of the British Academy in 1938
- Dr RadhaKrishnan was also given the eminent BHARAT RATNA award in the year 1954.
- He was also the president of the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and cultural organization (UNESCO) from 1952-54
- When he died on April 17, 1975 in madras, (now Chennai), The Indian Government ordered a week long state of mourning.
For More News Updates – Follow Us On Social Media
HydNewsToday is on WhatsApp Now – Whatsapp “HI” to 7013759659 and Get Latest News Everyday